Understand how the E2 Visa Pakistan works and the benefit of E2 treaty investor visa
In this article, we will discuss what is E2 Visa and how to apply for one if you are a Pakistan citizen. We will also answer some of the most asked questions regarding the E2 Visa application.
What is E2 Visa?
E2 Visa is a visa that allows nationals of E2 treaty investor visa country such as Pakistan to live and work in the United States. So, if you are a Pakistan national, you are eligible to apply for E2 Visa from Pakistan. Here is the list of other eligible E-2 visa countries.
E-2 Visa Pakistan Requirements :
- A citizen of Pakistan
- You are an investor in the past or in a process of investing in the USA
- You have the knowledge and skillset to build and manage the business.
- The amount of investment is substantial (usually it ranges from $15,000 to more than $1,000,000)
- The business must have a significant result (profitability and ability to hire employees)
- You are obliged to return to Pakistan once the visa expires. However, you can extend the visa as long as needed.
What are the documents needed to apply?
- To complete the Online Non-Immigrant Visa Electronic Application or known as the Form DS-160
- To complete Non-Immigrant Treaty Trader/Treaty Investor Application or known as the DS-156E (for executives, managers, and/or essential employees).
- Make sure your passport is valid to travel to the United States and the validity is at least six months beyond your travel to the USA.
- Prepare 2×2 inch professional photograph
- Usually, there will be a requirement to do an interview at US embassy
- Have a comprehensive E2 Visa business plan that showcases your investment and its prospect to support your stay and your dependents.
- Have a business registration for United States business
- Showcase proof of wire transfer
- Showcase proof of income sources
- Proof of intent to return to Pakistan once the visa expires
How to apply for an E2 Visa Pakistan?
Visa application can be stressful and tedious hence we believe our expertise can help you avoid common problems with E-2 Visa application. Our lawyers consist of E-2 Visa consultants for Pakistan that are experts in helping you to have a smooth process application. We have been in the business for 18 years and have secured hundreds of visa approvals. Claim here to get a free consultation with our expert lawyers.
Most common questions about E2 Visa for Pakistan Citizens:
How much is the investment needed?
There is no requirement as to how much investment is needed. It can start from as little as $15,000. This will all depend on the nature of the business that you want to create. What’s important is that you can provide evidence that you own at least 50% of the business. Our lawyers can help you determine the right business and investment.
How much does E2 Visa fees and cost?
In general, an E2 Visa costs below $500, and the legal fees cost $5,000.
How long is the E-2 Visa processing time in Pakistan?
The E-2 Visa processing time for a Pakistan citizen who is present in the USA usually takes around 5 months and premium processing is also available in 15 days for $1,225. If a Pakistani is not present in the USA, the application can take from 2 weeks to 4 months.
How long does the E2 visa Pakistan last?
E-2 Visa for Pakistan nationals lasts for 5 years and you can apply for an extension as needed. The extension will last for 2 years.
Can I bring my family to the USA?
Yes, you can bring your spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old. Your spouse can also work in the United States by filling Application for Employment Authorization or known as Form I-765.
What business is qualified for US E-2 Visa Pakistan?
There are no specific business requirements. Any business can apply as long as you have a substantial investment.
How to renew US E2 Visa for Pakistani?
As long as you and your business are benefiting the US economy, you are eligible to renew your application. You will be required to fill in Petition for Non-immigrant Worker or known as Form I-129, Application to Extend or Change Non-immigrant Status or known as Form I-539 and Arrival/Departure document or known as Form I-94. Other than that, you need a copy of the original Notice of Action or known as Form I-797 (if your status was previously extended), a copy of your passport & E-2 Visa, an employer letter demonstrating why the extension is required, and copies of personal & business tax returns (prior 2 years) plus payroll tax returns.
When do I need to apply for an extension?
It is recommended to apply for your E-2 Visa before it expires. By doing this, you are given 240 more days pending the decision for your extension.
Can I convert US E2 Visa to Green Card ?
E-2 Visa does not lead to Green Card however if you are planning to apply for one, you can file for an immigrant visa through United States Consulate in Pakistan or you can apply for adjustment status in the United States.
Is it hard to get E2 Visa Pakistan?
No, it is not. You will be okay if you follow and submit all the requirements needed. However, it is highly advisable to hire a lawyer to help you process the application in a much more concise and persuasive way.
Can I study while being on E2 Visa?
The answer is yes! However, you have to be cautious to still prioritize your business since you are an E2 Visa holder. You can not take on full-time study program.
Do I need to travel from Pakistan to the United States for the submission of my E-2 application?
You are not required to but we recommend that you visit the USA to see your investment before considering purchasing. Before the approval of your E-2 Visa, you can visit the United States either on a visa waiver (which is the 90-day ESTA) or on a 180-day B1/B2 visa.
What are the disadvantages of an E-2 Visa Pakistan?
- E-2 Visa requires you to work and build your businesses. If you are planning to have passive investment, E-2 Visa is not the right visa for this.
- E-2 Visa is a nonimmigrant visa which means you are not a citizen of the United States
- You have to renew your E-2 visa every 2 years
What is the difference between E1 and E2 Visa?
E1 visa is directed for treaty country that require entry for international trade, and E2 treaty investor visa is for those who wish to enter the United States when investing a substantial amount in US business.
What happens if my E-2 Visa Pakistan got rejected?
Since you are investing in the United States, there is a high risk if your visa got rejected. This is why it is highly advisable to have a lawyer accompany your visa application process so that pre-measure actions can be taken. A lawyer can help you by adding clauses that protect you.
What happens when my children turn 21 years old?
When your children turn 21 years old, they will be required to apply for their own visas. There are a couple of visas that you can explore from F1 Student Visa or they can set up their own E2 Visa.
Here are some tips for a successful E2 Visa Pakistan Application:
- Ensuring that your business plan outlines the expected growth. On the business plan, you also need to highlight financial strategy, operational & personnel strategy, marketing strategy, and your skills & experience. Check samples of the business plan here and here.
- Have a lawyer to advise and work along with you on the application and business plan.
- Prepare to have an interview in English. It is advisable to take an extensive English course before the interview.
- Listen carefully and be honest during the interview process. Be clear and concise with your answers.
Benefits you can get as a Pakistan citizen getting E2 Visa:
- You can move to the USA faster compared to other types of visa applications.
- You can build and expand your business in the United States.
- Your children can go to school in the United States and if you decide to attend public school, it is free of charge!
- No travel restriction for E-2 Visa Pakistan applicants. You can go out of the country and fly back to the USA.
- You and your family can live anywhere in the United States
- Free school education for your children